By Carl Shubs, Ph.D.
The following screening test was designed for assessing alcoholism. Give yourself 1 point for every "Yes." The scoring keys are at the end, but dont look at it until you complete the test.
You can also use it to guide your thinking about whether or not any other behavior you are dealing with may have addictive qualities for you. Just substitute that behavior (example: sex, online sex, shopping, exercise, television) where the test refers to alcohol or drinking, and see how well it applies. You may need to change the scoring key, but remember that it is just a guide to help orient your thinking about your behaviors.
Carl Schubs Ph.D.
(Michigan Alcoholism Screening Test)
Total of yes answers:
- Do you feel you drink less than or as much as most other people? Yes No
- Have you ever awakened the morning after some drinking the night before and found that you could not remember a part of the evening? Yes No
- Does you spouse, parent, or other near relative or friend ever worry or complain about your drinking? Yes No
- Can you stop drinking without a struggle after one or two drinks? Yes No
- Do you ever feel guilty about your drinking? Yes No
- Do friends or relatives think you are a "normal" drinker (i.e. that you drink no more than most other people)? Yes No
- Are you able to stop drinking when you want to? Yes No
- Have you ever attended a meeting of AA? Yes No
- Have you gotten into physical fights when drinking? Yes No
- Has your drinking ever created problems between you and a relative, spouse, or close friend? Yes No
- Has your spouse, family member, or close friend ever gone to anyone for help about your drinking? Yes No
- Have you ever lost friends because of your drinking? Yes No
- Have you ever gotten into trouble at work or school because of your drinking?Yes No
- Have you ever lost a job because of drinking? Yes No
- Have you ever neglected your obligations, your family, or your work for two days or more in a row because you were drinking? Yes No
- Do you drink before noon fairly often? Yes No
- Have you ever been told you have liver trouble? Yes No
- After heavy drinking, have you ever had severe shaking, or heard voices, or seen things that really weren't there? Yes No
- Have you ever gone to anyone for help about your drinking? Yes No
- Have you ever been in a hospital because of drinking? Yes No
- Have you ever been a patient in a psychiatric hospital or ward where drinking was part of the problem that resulted in hospitalization? Yes No
- Have you ever seen a counselor (or other professional) for help with any emotional problem where drinking was part of the problem? Yes No
- Have you ever been arrested for drunk driving, driving while intoxicated, or driving under the influence of alcoholic beverages? Yes No
If yes, how many times?
- Have you ever been arrested or taken into custody, even for a few hours, because of other drunk behavior? Yes No
If yes, how many times?
(each yes is one point)
3 points or less probably not alcoholic
4 points probably alcoholic
5 points or more definitely alcoholic
back to psych bytes
home | article of the month | featured therapist | news & events
psych bytes | book review | about our group
therapist profiles | locate a therapist
Copyright Independent Psychotherapy Network ©1998