WHAT YOU CAN DO TO HELP YOURSELF IF YOU SUFFER FROM SEVERE ANXIETY
- Learn relaxation techniques. They are available everywhere - yoga classes, video tapes, meditation, etc.
- Eliminate alcohol and unprescribed drugs from your system.
- It is a good idea to begin with a thorough physical exam by a physician. Many times symptoms are caused by a physical condition or illness, such as allergies.
- Be aware of what you eat and drink. Food additives such as Aspartame, the sugar substitute, or caffeine, can be toxic to some people and cause anxiety symptoms. Packaged meats contain preservatives and other chemicals. A high intake of sugar can also trigger anxiety symptoms.
- Physical exercise is often an excellent temporary antidote for mild or moderate anxiety.
- Be confident that you will find relief for your symptoms. Many other people have suffered with the same unpleasant or uncomfortable conditions and have successfully gotten relief -- often permanently.
- Educate yourself about what you suspect is your disorder
so that you can communicate more effectively with your medical doctor or your potential therapist.
back to psych bytes
home | article of the month | featured therapist | news & events
psych bytes | book review | about our group
therapist profiles | locate a therapist
Copyright Independent Psychotherapy Network ©1998