WHAT DO YOU REALLY KNOW ABOUT SEX?
A study commissioned by the Kinsey Institute shows that a majority of Americans are not sexually literate. Take the sex test that only 45% of the respondents passed.
Choose one answer after reading each question carefully. Each question is worth one point; keep your score on a scratch pad to see how you measure up to the national standings.
1. Nowadays, what do you think is the age at which the average or typical
American first has sexual intercourse?
2. Out of every ten married American men, how many would you
estimate have had an extramarital affair--that is, have been sexually unfaithful to
3. Out of every ten American women, how many would you estimate have had anal
4. A person can get AIDS by having anal (rectal) intercourse even if neither
partner is infected with the AIDS virus.
5. There are over-the-counter spermicides people can buy at the drugstore that
will kill the AIDS virus.
6. Petroleum jelly, Vaseline Intensive Care, baby oil, and Nivea are not good
lubricants to use with a condom or diaphragm.
7. More than one out of four (25%) of American men have had a sexual experience
with another male during either their teens or adult years.
8. It is usually difficult to tell whether people are or are not gay or lesbian just by
their appearance or gestures.
9. A woman or teenage girl can get pregnant during her menstrual flow (her
10. A woman or teenage girl can get pregnant even if the man withdraws his penis
before he ejaculates (before he "comes").
11. Unless they are having sex, women do not need to have regular gynecological
12. Teenage boys should examine their testicles ("balls") regularly just as women
self-examine their breasts for lumps.
13. Problems with erection are most often started by a physical problem.
14. Almost all erection problems can be successfully treated.
15. Menopause, or change of life as it is often called, does not cause most women
to lose interest in having sex.
16. Out of every ten American women, how many would you estimate have masturbated either as children or after they were grown up?
17. What do you think is the length of the average man's erect penis?
18. Most women prefer a sexual partner with a larger-than-average penis.
SCORING THE TEST
Each question is worth one point. So, the total possible number of points you can get is 18. Using this chart, score each item and then add up your total number of points. When a range of possible answers is correct, one of the answers in the correct range are given a point.
Total number of points: _____
How did you score?
© 1990 The Kinsey Institute for Research in Sex, Gender, and Reproduction, Bloomington, Indiana, USA
back to psych bytes
psych bytes | book review | about our group
therapist profiles | locate a therapist
Copyright Independent Psychotherapy Network ©1998